Friday, January 06, 2012

Ode to folks of kuala lumpur city

ode to folks of kuala lumpur city
by azly rahman

even if in your lifetime you will taste poverty aplenty
live a life corrupt-free and with highest dignity
... ... there is beauty in deep reverie when others are living a life obsessed with money
i have seen friends and family fall flat on their face for a life of greed and gluttony
never take a single cent you do not deserve out of your hard work
and reward you wait patiently
that was the constant advice given by our ancestors remembered so lovingly
how much must one accumulate in life to prepare for one's life in the uncertainties of eternity
the daily papers tell me how corrupt this malaysian society has chosen to be
millions and billions changing hands with people refusing to work hard like the coolie with the deepest sense of honesty
dig not your million dollar grave, friends and family
people these days are getting crazy over money money money
offer me not not a million a billion a trillion maybe
these have no meaning for me who prefer a life of simplicity
where i could ride the, bus, meditate on the train, or watch ships sail the seven seas
i could do these without any worry, where my next million going to crawl to me
how many souls i will need to destroy -- him as utility and his entire family
in my path towards achieving the highest glory in life based on money aplenty
no, i shall not sacrifice my cave, my poetry, my love for philosophy, the arts and humanities, my love for humanity, my freedom to
take my midnight walks along highways taking me to the the sea and its serenity
a free spirit i am
bless i hope all --- whose live in this kuala lumpur city
is about destroying each other as taught by machiavelli

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hats off to your poetry. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Dr Azly.

And I am reminded of Lao Zi and Zhuang Zi, Tao and Zen..How long have I forgotten about them, and how long have I deprived myself of the luxury of the free spirit?

And I guess not many people in Malaysia, especially in the big cities, know about this best kept secret--that this is like God's treasure endowed FOC to humankind, but only those who care to 'let go' would get it.

Grandma’s Gangsta Chicken Curry and Gangsta Stories from My Hippie Sixties by Azly Rahman

MY MEMOIR IS NOW AVAILABLE ON AMAZON!  https://www.amazon.com/Grandmas-Gangsta-Chicken-Stories-Sixties-ebook/dp/B095SX3X26/ref=sr_1_1?dchild...