Thursday, May 09, 2013

Chinese Tsunami: my own little story

I am overwhelmed by the "Chinese-ness" of my own experience ...

having ...

- a beloved Chinese-born aunt ... who grew up with my family since she was a few weeks old ...

- Ah Lan who taught my (late) mother how to sew clothes so that she could make me and my siblings those beautiful traditional clothes ...

- my excellent and caring primary school teachers Miss Chan, Miss Tan, Miss Wong .. who taught me ho to be a better human being ...

- my excellent Math teacher Mr. Wong who also taught me how to write in Jawi!

- my great set of teachers in high school, Miss Yap, Ms. Chew. Mr. Wong. Mr. Ho, Mr. Liew, and of course the great Sir Peter Ng

- my Chinese literature professor, Julia Lin who got me interested in Chinese and Japanese culture and philosophy and got me interested too in finding out what her now famous daughter Maya Lin (American architect) was designing ...

- for the last two decades of my teaching in Malaysian and the United States, possibly a thousand students of Chinese origin whom I see primarily as intelligent and wise learners I too learned from ...

and many more experiences ... including YOU in this forum ...

and most importantly having all these experiences that has tsunami-ed me into believing that we are all of one race: the human race ..

So, Malaysian media and racist politicians behave ... and watch your language ... -- ar

No comments:

Grandma’s Gangsta Chicken Curry and Gangsta Stories from My Hippie Sixties by Azly Rahman

MY MEMOIR IS NOW AVAILABLE ON AMAZON!  https://www.amazon.com/Grandmas-Gangsta-Chicken-Stories-Sixties-ebook/dp/B095SX3X26/ref=sr_1_1?dchild...